The Paleo diet, although it may seem like a new diet, it is very remote power (indeed, primitive), hence its name: Paleolithic Diet.
The Paleolithic era began about 2.5 million years ago and reaches up to 10,000 years ago, when the man begins to adopt systems of intensive agriculture and breeding bestiame.E ‘then at the end of the Paleolithic era, which man starts its transition from consuming hunted animals and to feed the fruits available, intake of cereals (hailing from crops) and meat and milk derived from animals reared.
From here on, that manifest heart disease, obesity, type 2 diabetes, cancer and other inflammatory diseases become part of our society.
The objective of the Paleo diet is to bring us back in touch with our true roots and with nature. Moreover, there are now numerous case studies documenting stories of patients who, through the Paleo diet have found their ideal weight, gained muscle tone, have more energy, less inflammation at all levels, showed an improvement of the skin and feel more young people.
In many cases, chronic digestive problems are gone, allergies and asthma vanished and people with diabetes in the symptoms regressed until no medication (including insulin).
Let’s see in detail what is the Paleo diet.
- The Paleo diet should be composed mainly of saturated fats and unsaturated (yes, I know that the purists will be offended, yet the same Sebastien NOEL has changed his mind and correct on the bearing of saturated fat in the Paleo diet. Thankfully, Ancel Keys and his study of 1953 were finally and painfully outdated). The rest of the diet should be composed of moderately protein animal and carbohydrates. It ‘important to monitor the distribution of macro-nutrients, however, without paying much attention to the calorie count nor the portions.
- Consume almost unlimited amounts of coconut oil, ghee (clarified butter). Even lard, duck fat and other animal fats are a good alternative, but only if they come from healthy animals raised on pasture and grass-fed (not grain, as in Italy. The “grass-fed “is unfortunately still unknown in our country). In addition, olive oil, avocado oil, palm oil and red oil macadamia nuts are another source of good fats, however valid only be used raw (salads for example), but not for cooking. With the exception of palm oil red (if you find it, and of good quality), being composed mainly of saturated fats can be used for cooking at high temperature without oxidation.
- Consume generous amounts of animal protein (meat or fish). These include red meat, poultry, pork, eggs, organ meats (liver, kidney, heart ..), wild fish and shellfish (always prefer fish caught that bred).
- Eat fruits and vegetables raw or cooked with good fats (in addition to ensuring that valuable nutrients help to give a special flavor to your dishes).
- Take moderate amounts of fruits and seeds and nuts . Choose fruits with low glycemic index and rich in antioxidants (eg, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries) and seeds with the best ratio of omega-3 and omega-6 . The best choice is the Macadamia nut (among other delicious). In case of digestive problems or autoimmune system, consider the possibility of avoiding fruits and seeds in addition to the need and rely to a good doctor-nutritionist.
- Whenever possible, choose meat raised and nourished with grass (hard to find in Italy) by breeders judicious and maybe local. When this is not possible, better to fall back on lean meats (is in the fat of animals that settle the most harmful substances, and if you can not help it, avoid eating fat meat) cooked in plenty of high quality grease (oil coconut, ghee) and game. For fruits and vegetables, favoring seasonal foods, possibly from local farmers, maybe some group affiliate to fair trade where you can buy quality products and cheap.
- Delete all the cereals and legumes from the diet (without exception). By way of example: wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, soybeans, peanuts, peas and beans (white, red, blacks, and anything else in the family borlotti beans).
- Eliminate all vegetable oils and hydrogenated like margarine, soybean oil, corn oil, peanut oil, rapeseed oil (canola), safflower oil (safflower) oil sunflower seeds.
- Eliminate sugar, beverages prepared, packaged juices (fruit and not). As a rule, if it is packaged or stored in a carton or bottle (for how beautiful it is), do not buy it. But above all, do not drink it. Even products that swear to be no added sugar, 100% natural ingredients that do not contain the job.
- Eliminate dairy products, except butter (or clarified butter, ghee). On this subject, there is a big discussion in the world Paleo cookbook. Purists do not allow any kind of dairy product. Others allow fermented milk long (thus eliminating much of the lactose) in a totally casual, and from animals raised on pasture.
- Paleolithic era not taking three meals a day. When there was food available, ate, otherwise you waited for the right moment to gather or hunt for food. In short, you ate when you could, and real hunger was the only real sign that it was time to put something in his mouth. Today we have the luxury (and misfortune) to have access to any type of food at any time of day or night. The routine, schedules and boredom do the rest. In short, eat when you really hungry. Skip a few meals not create any problem, indeed. Listen to your body.
- Do not go overboard with the physical training. To achieve maximum genetic expression, just a few, short, intense workouts. No more long and grueling sessions of cardio.